Friday, April 24, 2015

Random Thoughts on a Spring Day

Our Backyard - April 24th
I'll admit that over the past few weeks I've been down in the dumps. It's been cold, I'm missing my friends, and the back pain that my Dr. had diagnosed as "disc slippage" continues to plague me. 

Adding to my dark mood is the fact that our backyard still looks like the surface of the moon. Granted, it looks better than it did last summer when it was overrun with weeds, but I'm so used to my garden in Maine where crocuses and daffodils would be poking through right about now. There's a lot of work to do, and it gets a bit overwhelming at times, but I try to remember the words of a friend, "It's a marathon, not a sprint."

This morning Steve and I dug out the dead arbor vitae bushes, then I went to the library and for a walk.  Near the library is a small pond
The Pond with Walking Path
with a walking path around it.  Next to it is a xeriscape garden that is tended by volunteers.  The volunteers were there today weeding and cleaning up.  

My Turnaround Point
After a couple of loops around the pond I decided to try the paved bike path that runs along McCulloch Boulevard  I walked for about 15 minutes then headed back to my car. This was the view at my turnaround point.

On the way back to the car I started thinking of the past weeks and my dark mood.  I realized that while things aren't always sunshine and skittles here, I do have many things to be thankful for.  I've been richly blessed, and there is much for which to be thankful.  As I walked, I compiled this list:

Grandpa and Grandson
1. Family.  The reason we moved here was to be closer to our son, daughter-in-law, and grandson.  And every day that I get to spend with them is a blessing. My husband is happily retired, and enjoying our new life.
2. Health.  Even though I'm still dealing with slipped discs, I'm in otherwise good health.  And my family is healthy as well.
3. Home.  We had the good fortune to find a lovely home in a quiet, rural area.  There's space for a garden (eventually), and there's plenty of room for guests. It's warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and comfortable year-round.
4. Food.  There's plenty of food in the cupboards, and if I run out I can easily get to the store and get more.  There are places in this world where people can't say that.
5. Faith.  I have the ability to worship God freely.  Again, there are places in this world where this is not possible.

There are so many other things I could list.  Friends, extended family,a long bike ride,  ice-cold watermelon on a hot summer day...

At the xeriscape garden
after my walk.
This morning during my quiet time I read this from Psalm 121: I lift my eyes to the mountains, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.  Psalm 121: 1,2 (NIV)

As I walked on the path today I lifted my eyes to the mountains and remembered where my help came from.  And I was filled with joy.

No comments: