Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Saying Goodbye

It was an emotionally draining day as I walked through the rooms of our house one last time. After 7 years, we are leaving Maine and heading west to be near our son and his family in Colorado. And while I know that I'm going to love being close to our adorable two-year old grandson and his parents, it's still hard to say goodbye. 

When we moved to Maine in 2007 it was a difficult adjustment. The job I took here turned out to be much more stressful than I could have imagined, and the stress of being far from family and friends was almost more than I could bear. But through all the difficulties, this house was my sanctuary. While sitting on the deck or in my backyard or in the den, I was able to put aside the drama of work, and feel a deep peace. I've always felt that it was a gift from God, a place for rest and sanctuary. 
The deck in autumn
Enjoying the backyard with friends

Once we decided to sell it, we embarked on a flurry of activity that allowed me to not think about the consequences of the process. Even after we accepted an offer back in April, it still didn't feel real. Over the past two weeks I've been saying goodbye- to co-workers, friends, and our wonderful church family. And as hard as that's been, I know that I'll see many of these people again, and will be able to stay in touch. But leaving the house, that was tough, because it's like leaving a part of me behind. 

Today at the closing, we met the new owners. They are delightful, and totally in love with this house. The moment they walked in, they knew they loved it. The wife is of Swedish heritage, and when she saw my Swedish-style kitchen with the Swedish cookbooks and trivet, she knew it was right. Then as they walked through the house, and saw the color scheme we had done, they were sold. As I sat through the closing, I was assured that my house is in good hands, with people who will love it as much as I do. 

Now I know that a house is really just a shell, and it's the people who live there who create a home, and I know that God will provide a home that will be just what we need in our lives right now. But I will always be grateful for this gift for the last seven years, and how it helped nourish and replenish my soul. 

I'll also be eternally grateful for the people who were put in my life here in Maine. There were so many of you. I already miss you, but know that you'll always have a place in my heart, and in our new home. Thank you for your kindnesses, your grace, and your friendship. I appreciate it more than you could ever know. 

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Beautifully written. God's with you on your new journey. The people you met are in your heart if not closer. Best of luck with all that comes!