Monday, December 24, 2007

How It Got in My Pajamas I'll Never Know

"I shot a moose in my pajamas. How a moose got in my pajamas I'll never know." Groucho Marx

I don't think I'm alone when I say I've always liked moose. Judging by the number of stuffed moose available here in Maine, I think that a lot of people are fascinated by this creature. Which is why ever since I moved here I've been trying to spot one. Everytime I see a Moose crossing sign on the highway (and I'm not actually driving) I keep my eyes peeled to the side of the road and into the fields and woods looking for one. I've heard colleagues and patrons at the library tell of their moose sightings and been totally envious.

Which is why I was so disappointed one day last week when I came home and was looking through the mail. There, on the front page of one of those free shopper newspapers was a photo of moose. The caption said that it was seen at a location about 5 miles from my house. A spot I drive past everyday on my wy to work! I thought that the moose was long gone and that once more I'd missed a moose.

So Saturday night Steve and I are on the way to the airport in Manchester NH to pick up our son who was flying in from Colorado. I was looking out the window, not looking for moose, but just lost in thought. It was dark out, but as we passed this field I thought I detected a dark shape against the snow.

"I think I just saw a moose!" I shouted to Steve.
"Are you sure?"
"I think so."

So Steve turned around and drove to the spot where I saw the shape. Apparently I was not the only one, because two other cars were pulling off at the side of the road. Steve drove up a little ways and pulled into a closed business that adjoined the field where I saw the shape. We got out of the car and looked, and sure enough, there was a moose! She was just standing there, not moving. One other car pulled into the lot and that couple got out, too. We all just stood there and stared at this moose. After a few minutes we were on our way to the airport.

After picking up our son we drove to the same spot. Sure enough, there she was. This was now after 11:00 PM, and I don't think she had moved. Of course, we didn't have our camera; our son tried to take a picture with his camera phone, but it was too dark. The next morning we went back with the camera, but the moose was gone.

When living in Illinois we saw deer all the time; once on my bike I saw three bucks. And in Vermont a bear cub ran through the woods past our cabin. So now I've seen a moose. Pretty amazing.

No comments: