1. On a nice sunny day in October, visit a local apple orchard and purchase a bag of Cortland apples with the intention of making pies in the next few days.
2. When you get home put the apples in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator.
3. Whenever you open the refrigerator tell yourself that you really do need to get those pies made.
4. Repeat number 3 several times over the next month.
5 Around Thanksgiving, bring your fancy apple peeler/slicer up from the basement and tell yourself that you will definitely make apple pies for Thanksgiving.
6. Decide to bake a Mrs. Smith's Pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.
7. Whenever you open the refrigerator check the apple to make sure they're still good. Notice that they're starting to get a bit soft, and tell yourself that you really need to get those pies baked.
8. Twelve days before Christmas, when you have 17 other projects to finish in the next two days, take time to make 3 pies. Bonus points if you do this immediately after scrubbing the kitchen floor.